About Dromgold Farm
The tract of land containing Dromgold Farm was initially settled by Benjamin Cunningham in 1828 and it remained in the Cunningham/Dromgold family until 2009, when it was bequeathed by his great-great granddaughter Gladys Dromgold Schaffer to the Historical Society.
This 113-acre property was the site of numerous industries and activities, including a tannery (1874-1894), blacksmith shop (1890-1948), general mercantile store (1874-1975), post office, (1897-1905) and a Natural Beauty Park (1928-1941). The meadows along Sherman’s Creek at Dromgold’s served as a stopping point on a section of the Allegheny Trail, known as the “New Path,” one of the original trails west to Pittsburgh and beyond. Once established, the farmstead served as a stagecoach stop on the road between Landisburg, the first county seat, and Carlisle.
The present property contains two houses, a hunting cabin, a barn, a chicken house, a spring house, a wagon shed and a garage. Several other buildings were removed prior to the Society’s ownership. The Historical Society has already restored the old Dromgold store to the 1880s time period and intends to restore the barn and other outbuildings. Hiking trails, restoration of the “beauty park” and other activities are also planned.
For more information or tours of Dromgold Farm, or any of our properties, please contact the Historical Society of Perry County at 717-567-9011.