About Green Park School House
The present Green Park School is the third building built on this location and, owing to its centralized location within the western part of the county, the forerunner of the current West Perry School District. A log “subscription” school building was first constructed west of the present site at Green Park as early as 1815. In 1842, the first brick public school house was built at its present location and by 1854 a total of thirty-five students were enrolled at the Green Park School.
In 1880 the first brick schoolhouse was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt for the sum of $1048. Fire struck again in 1886 and again the building was rebuilt at a cost of $1801. The present building–immediately rebuilt in 1886-1887, contains the original bell cast at Rheem’s Foundry in Green Park.
By 1891 the school had 48 students and was used continuously for grades one through eight until 1949 when the schools were consolidated into the Green Park Union School District. From 1949-1954 Mr. Robert Owen taught 5th and 6th grades at the school, after which the school closed its doors.
In 1969, after standing vacant for a decade, Green Park School and its .34 acre of land was deeded to the Historical Society of Perry County by the West Perry School District for the sum of $1. Since that time the interior has remained as it was when the last class was held in 1954. The interior, exterior, roof, chimney, and porch have been restored by the Society and tours of an operational one-room-school house are offered periodically throughout the summer months.